Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Devotion for The Week of November 12th-18th 2012


   
Good morning friends.  This is Wednesday  Nov. 14th, 2012.  It's another beautiful day in Conway, SC and the county of Horry that is.  Right on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean.  WOW!  To me, the most beautiful place in the world to live.  We have pretty clean air and the weather, for the most part, is wonderful.  The # 2 vacation spot in the USA.  The Blue Ridge mountains are relatively close to us as well as some large cities.  We now have a wide variety of people living here.  Wow, and as Pastor Dr. Jerry Howell says many times, "I believe I'll say that backwards - Wow".

     When I was a young girl growing up here in Conway, we didn't have to close our windows for security.  We didn't even have locks on them.  There wasn't any need to ever lock the doors during the daytime.  My little brother and I stayed home by ourselves while our Mother went off to work at AVX in Myrtle Beach, SC.  She worked the 2nd and 3rd shifts.  See, my Dad was the town drunk and very abusive to my Mother.  She was strong and worked very hard to provide for her 2 babies that was left at home with her after the other 6 children had left.  Daddy left, also.  Times were hard and Mama was especially hard on me.  She was SO strict.  I now know she wanted only the best things in life for me.

It took years of growing and some whippings for me to realize this.  She was proud of me and loved me very much.  She saw a quality in me that was better than just average or just the run of the mill.  I believe, in the very beginning, she resented me.  Maybe because my Dad named me after one of his girlfriends, Carol.  When I was very young Mama said I was marked by that girlfriend.  Who knows to this day what that meant.  But anyway, we made it just the same.  She would dress me up in the finest attire and she, little brother Michael, and I would walk to church on 4th Ave. in Conway.  My eyes were dark and big, my hair dark and long.  I was short and not very big.  Not too bad on the eyes at that time.



I was called many names such as Indian Princess, 1/2 breed, High Yellow, Gypsy as well as other names.  I never felt offended by any of them.  I always knew who my Mother and Dad were.  They both were 'lookers'.  One was tall and lean and one short and stout.  I knew I could go either way.  I had some choices to make with some of them.  Before he left home, I watched my Dad chase women, drink and fight, and my Mother work hard, pay bills, go to church, and hold her head high.  She taught me that my name was the most important thing I owned.

Her gift of loving to study God's word was the greatest gift she gave me.  I cherish it the most. I inherited her flair for hats and dresses. Later in life, on days she felt bad, she'd go to town looking like the bag lady with her hat on!  She was funny and would make you laugh.  Most of all she loved God, then her children, all of them, even Daddy.  She took him back when I was in my twenties.  He had left when I was nine.  He was a looker - dark, tall and blue eyes.  My my my, my Mother loved him so.

On her death bed, she made us promise to take very good care of "the old goat" and we did until his ripe old age of 96.  My, how I miss him.  How God helped me to forgive and love him and he loved me so much the last 2 years of his life.  For the first time, during those 2 years, he told me he loved me.

In memory of my Mother and Dad; Leona Jordan-Mar. 10th, 2009 and J.T. Jordan-June 8th, 2011

In memory of J.C. Larrimore, my favorite Brother-In-Law-Dec 2nd, 2006

In memory of my baby brother Michael A. Jordan-Sept 19th, 1992

In memory of Roger's Mother and Dad; Lelia E. Patrick-Sept. 28th,1995 and James Sollie Patrick-Sept. 23rd, 2003    

In memory of Roger's baby brother Oscar Patrick-Dec. 18th, 2011

   
We miss you all SO much always but especially throughout this Holiday Season and I'm looking forward to seeing each of you in Heaven!!!

                                                                                                                                      June J. Patrick

             
PRAYER LIST

My friends and family still living

   
Be thankful in all things.  Give God the glory!

   
Remember, be blessed not stressed.

   
He's coming soon - stay busy!

P.S.  Give something away that's important yo you this Christmas season to someone who is in need.

   
Happy Thanksgiving from Mr. Roger and me!!!

                                                                                              Trying to look through the eyes of Jesus,

                                                                                                                                      Ms. June

No comments:

Post a Comment